Cabot Microelectronics Corporation (“CMC”) is the leading supplier of sophisticated polishing
slurries used in the manufacture of advanced semiconductors (chips) and rigid disks — critical
components that drive today’s electronics — from desktop and laptop computers, cellular phones
and electronic games, to personal data assistants, telecommunication switchboards and servers.
CMC is a global company with facilities in Asia, Europe and United States. The company is
headquartered in Aurora, Illinois.
CMC currently has an immediate need for a Sr. CMP Engineer—Enabling Integration.
The Sr. CMP Engineer— Enabling Integration The CMP Engineer will be responsible for providing
technical leadership in the area of CMP processing to the Enabling team. This role will be
responsible for providing CMP process support and direction to a group within the Enabling
team developing new slurry technology and products. The Sr. CMP Engineer will also be
responsible for developing CMP processes and execute the polishing that will support the
technology development efforts of the team as they develop competitively advantaged new
The key responsibilities of the Sr. CMP Engineer— Enabling Integration are:
• Plan, Design and Execute research to develop processes enabling the use of new and
• Effectively manage, document, analyze and periodically communicate to the Group the results
of the investigation.
• Work as part of a high performance team developing new, competitively advantaged slurries
and provide the CMP process support and technical input required for effective technology
• Interface with technical management and customers for needs.
• Interface with product development team for technology transfer.
• Provide mentoring and training to junior level CMP personnel to increase their understanding
of CMP processes and analysis of experiments.
• Enable successful customer & co-supplier evaluation of CMC slurries by participating in the
design and execution of internal and external customer demos.
• Work with the technical marketing group to define the technical presentations related to
• BS level degree or equivalent experience required, advanced degree preferred in a related
scientific or electronics technology discipline.
• At least 5 years professional experience, with at least 3 focused on CMP.
• Technical – CMP process technology experience a must: experience with CMP polishing
equipment & thin film metrology tools & ability to assess outputs (removal rates, WIWNU,
planarization efficiency, defectivity, process run variability.) Knowledge of semiconductor
process integration is a significant plus.
• Business/Managerial – Management of customer relationships to facilitate the exchange of
technical information. Initiative to obtain at least high level appreciation of business
climates that affect our customers; accountability & integrity to manage projects
• Behavioral – The candidate must be flexible and tolerant of ambiguous, ever-changing
climate. In this environment, the candidate needs to therefore, maintain commitment to the
tasks at hand. This will require efficient planning, prioritizing and goal setting. In the
course of CMP experimentation the candidate will need to be able to make critical decisions
with limited information and to generate creative solutions to any product performance/process
problems. To this end, an acute attention to detail is critical. The candidate will need to
demonstrate the ability to mentor others to help them better understand CMP and integration
issues to improve their contribution to the team and to allow for their career growth. Above
all, the candidate’s goals must be aligned with a focus on customer requirements.
• Computer – Microsoft Office applications skills (Especially Excel; Word, PowerPoint as well)
Cabot Microelectronics offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits, including a 401K
plan with a very generous company match.
We are an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V.