drugstore.com, inc. (www.drugstore.com) is “A Better Way to Shop for Health and Beauty” and the
leading online drugstore and information site for health, beauty, vision, and pharmacy products
and solutions. The drugstore.com™ store gives consumers an opportunity to buy everyday
drugstore items, as well as more sensitive health-related products and specialty items, in a
convenient, private, and informative shopping experience. The online store offers a
full-service, licensed retail pharmacy, a wide variety of both brand name and hard-to-find
personal health care products, and a growing number of specialty stores. The specialty stores
include Beauty.com™, Healthy Woman, Sexual Well-being™, Dr. Weil Recommends, and the Natural
Store. To help consumers make informed purchasing decisions, drugstore.com™ also features a
wealth of health-related information, buying guides, and other tools. A wide variety of
prestige beauty products, including brands such as Tarte, Phyto, Fresh, and Paula Dorf, are
offered through Beauty.com, Inc. (acquired by drugstore.com, inc. in January 2000).
The Site Director is responsible for the day-to-day composition and coherence of the
drugstore.com family of web sites. The Site Director owns site content selection and placement
on both the execution and the strategic levels, and is responsible for ensuring that the
content is of high quality, relevant, in compliance with brand guidelines and content is fully
aligned with business objectives. The Site Director should be experienced in managing and
leading an energetic and savvy audience.
• Manage online content production – ensure production consistency, effective, high-quality
online content that meets brand guidelines and creates the desired customer experience.
• Establish policies and procedures for ensuring that site content supports stated business
• Optimize processes to ensure quality, on-time delivery of programs (site, print, etc)
• Together with Creative Director and Lead Producers, establish policies and procedures for
content creation and publishing.
• Establish policies and procedures for ensuring visual and editorial consistency in line with
online brand and web style guidelines.
• Manage production of online and occasionally offline creative in support of marketing
• Coordinate closely with the Merchandising and Marketing groups to manage, plan and execute
site content, including featured products, promotions and e-mail.
• Own the overall calendar and plan for day-to-day site execution.
• Act as the decision-maker for content and message prioritization and content focus on all
areas of the site; provide an experienced perspective on how to most effectively convey the
key site messages.
• Ensure consistency of online and offline brand.
• Coordinate with third-parties, such as IT development, and agency teams, to ensure adherence
to online brand and web style guidelines.
Standards Development Responsibilities
• Own online brand guidelines—create, maintain and monitor guidelines for online copy,
tone-of-voice and visual appearance. Work with off-line brand management to create consistent
corporate look and feel.
• Own web style guide. In collaboration with the Creative Director, create maintain and
monitor web style guidelines.
Management & Coordination & Analysis Responsibilities
• Manage team consisting of creative, editorial and production talent.
• Manage project plans and schedules.
• Deliver results per the calendar on time and in budget
• Coordinate ad hoc and emergency changes to the site
• Management responsibilities including coaching, performance reviews, budgeting, management
• Work hand-in-hand with site analytics team to regularly report on site performance to
optimize conversion and average basket size.
• Initiate decision making based on data as well as set up control tests; direct and report on
all site testing procedures and execution.
• Work hand-in-hand with Site Product team to support and integrate feature development
• Significant Internet-related experience in a consumer focused role.
• 5-7 years experience with e-commerce or online retail is required.
• Experience with web content management systems is desired.
• Experience analyzing and applying site performance data
• Creative and imaginative senior editorial or design background is desired.
• Experience with business-to-consumer communications within the publishing or online
publishing industry is desired.
• Bachelor’s degree is required.
• Desktop computing experience including proficiency with Microsoft Office is required.
• Technical experience with web development technologies such as HTML and CSS, or experience
with design tools such as Photoshop, is a major plus.
• Project management experience.
• Experience working in marketing & merchandising in a retail environment.
• Experience managing creative resources.
• Significant experience working in a fast paced, frequently changing environment.
• Experience in managing high performance teams