Day to Day Responsibilities:
Purpose of Position:
This individual will act as the first line of contact on the 800 line working directly with
customers. He or she will attend to all questions and inquires in a highly professional manner
while assuring that our goal of world class customer service is met.
Assist customers on the incoming 800# line. Answer approximately 80-100 calls per day.
Handle technical calls related to products and their applications.
Answer product and technical questions for approximately 1500 product codes in the areas of
Cell Culture, Molecular Biology, Assay Products and Liquid Handling utilizing catalog
information and information available in the PC.
Accurately enter and maintain purchase orders and sample requests received from customers by
way of telephone, mail, e-mail and fax. Utilize credit card application for credit card orders.
Review all orders for proper customer information, product, price, quantity, payment and
delivery information. Proactively initiates actions and resolves any questionable areas.
Provide customers with product, price and availability information over 1,000-customer
Cross sell and up sell products, providing alternative products as necessary.
Provide customers with certificates, proof of deliveries, backorder information, samples and
order status information.
Review order status and delivery status with customer. Process all order changes including
order cancellations. Negotiate expedited deliveries with production planning schedulers and
warehouses; independently determines appropriate method of shipment.
Coordinate resolution of specific problems with customer, plant, and account team.
Use multiple database systems to ensure accurate information to the customer.
Manage and research customers complaints in the complaint system. Process product returns
Enter sales leads in the sales database.
Support Account Managers in assigned territories with complaints, issues, and sample
Interact on a daily basis with several other functions of the company, such as Account
Managers, Marketing, Distribution, Accounting/Credit, Quality Control and Manufacturing.
Maintain Order Files.
Handle customer accommodations independently by using good judgment without consulting
manager in most cases.
Attend Product/Technical training as scheduled.
Effectively and professionally convey information internally and externally.
Perform the full scope of customer service tasks; problem solving, trouble shooting,
Responsible for ensuring 100% follow-up to customers internally and externally.
Expected to have a full understanding of department and company procedures and policies.
Promote CLS image in a positive manner.
Criteria for Performance Evaluation:
1. Accuracy and timeliness of responses to Customers.
2. Feedback from Account Managers and Customers.
3. Completion of MBOs
Projects involved with:
Projects assigned by management and team leader
Minimal, no International
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
11:30 a.m. 8:00 p.m.
1. Ability to handle high call volume in a fast-pace environment
2. Excellent professional verbal and written communication skills
3. Professional customer service skills (i.e. phone and e-mail)
4. Technical proficiency and strong analytical skills
5. Ability to multi-task and use multiple database systems
6. PC experience in a Windows environment (A minimum of Word, Excel, E-mail, Web, PeopleSoft
7. Excellent organizational, follow up and troubleshooting skills
8. Customer focused
9. Initiative, self starter
1. Experience in the Life Science Industry or related field
2. Experience with PeopleSoft Order Management
1. Ability to work independently in a team environment
2. Positive, enthusiastic and high energy
3. Ability to foster excellent relationships with customers, distributors, sales reps., and
4. Dependable, committed, reliable and high work ethic.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors degree in Life Science field desired.
1-2 years of customer service experience with degree or 2-4 years call center experience
Corning is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit your application online at www.corning.com/careers and indicate that you saw our
posting on Monster.