NextWave believes that new and emerging, all IP-based, wireless technologies will provide
significant operating cost advantages and an ability to sell a range of innovative services
that cannot be easily replicated over existing wireless networks on a cost effective basis. By
leveraging the advanced IP architectures of these new wireless technologies, NextWave expects
to develop novel approaches in the design, development, and operation of wide-area wireless
NextWave is currently completing technical evaluations of several next-generation wireless
technologies and intends to launch commercial service in Las Vegas in 2005.
Skills and Experience required for these positions:
Positions are available at many levels of experience and seniority, with at least 3+ years
experience in design, specification, architecture, implementation, integration and test of
wireless communications systems. Should also have very strong lab skills and be prepared to
participate in integration, debugging and test efforts in the lab.
· US citizenship or permanent residency (a.k.a. “Green Card”) required.
· BSEE/CS required. MS or PhD a plus, but not required.
Candidates must have experience and strong knowledge in the following skills:
· C++ programming and target debugging experience in an embedded environment
· Real-time Operating Systems, RTOS kernels, including their principles and the services they
· Working with embedded hardware and interaction with other processors including DSP's and
· Full cycle of software development including detailed analysis, design, implementation,
debugging and developer testing
· Direct experience architecting, designing, implementing, testing, debugging and integrating
embedded software/firmware in a volume datacom/telecom infrastructure product.
· Subject matter expertise in at least one of the following:
o Network management (SNMP)
o Carrier operation support systems
o Multimedia applications or services
o 802.16 MAC
o Drivers, protocol stacks, schedulers
o Mesh routing protocols
o Smart antenna algorithms
o Embedded or realtime operating systems
o Board support packages
It is also beneficial if the successful candidate has the following skills:
· Knowledge and understanding of OFDM systems
· Knowledge and understanding of digital RF communications and principles, especially in a
· Understanding of computer telephony, LANs, MANs, WANs, VoIP, QoS, SLA
· Understanding of cellular communication standards including TDMA, CDMA, GSM, GPRS, 3G
· Familiarity with 802.11a/g, 802.16d/e, WiMAX and 4G Systems
· Networking principles and communication protocols including TCP/IP, UDP, ARP, ICMP, SNMP,
RTP, switches, routers, circuit-switched and packet-switched networks, subnets and gateways
· Capable and willing to lead a small team of software/firmware developers
Responsible for the design, test, and documentation of various Mobile WiMax products,
including software design, implementation and testing of fourth generation mobile OFDMA-based
systems. Duties include system and software design and implementation in an embedded C++
environment, reference designs, field trials and production development. This includes
architecture development, simulation, implementation and verification. Additional
responsibilities will include Mobile WiMax qualification and regulatory test support, and
product demonstration preparation. This person will be closely working with the systems,
marketing, and sales departments to provide the best solutions to meet customer needs. Good
communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment are essential.
An exciting opportunity:
· Firsthand exposure to the latest developments in wireless telecommunications technology.
· NextWave is currently young and small, yet already recognized as a company that will be
leading technological innovations.
Challenges associated with the role:
· You will quickly have to come up to speed regarding our design methodologies and approach,
including our product lines.
· The wireless industry is competitive and your ability to prioritize and quickly react to
changing markets and technology is imperative.
· Performing your tasks well the first-time with minimum errors or corrections is paramount.
Position is based in Carlsbad, CA