Primary Purpose of Job:
Maximize sales and profits in assigned categories.
Direct reports: None
1. Prepare and execute yearly sales and profit plans to meet or exceed corporate
strategic and profit goals.
2. Develop and execute period, quarterly, yearly merchandising, promotional, and
advertising plans to support the strategic and profit goals for assigned categories.
3. Utilize the strategic alliance with category captains in each category to drive sales
and profits up, costs down.
4. Continually remove costs throughout the organization, through supply chain cost
reductions, product management, and process improvement.
5. Continually maintain information on sales, merchandising, profits, and product trends
in national and northeast markets for assigned categories. React to any issues, changing plan
as needed to insure that goals are achieved.
6. Maintain outstanding communication within department, support center, store teams, and
7. Develop and execute creative, innovative merchandising and sales techniques to drive
sales and profits. Dare to be Different!
8. Continually maintain information on trends affecting customerís and potential
customerís purchase behavior patterns.
9. Scheduled store and market visits.
10. Maintain pricing and product knowledge of market competitors.
1. Loves to sell and enjoys their work. Has fun on the job. Helps creates a fun place
to work for their team members and a great service environment for their customers.
2. Leadership ability; ability to coach and work in teams.
3. Retail experience in a mid-sized or large organization helpful.
4. Strong interpersonal and communication skills required.
5. Ability to effectively communicate with all levels in the organization.
6. Ability to work within a team environment.
7. Ability to accurately manage more than one task at a time.
8. Proficiency in MS Office applications to include Word and Excel required.
1. Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from four-year college or university; concentration in
2. Five or more years related experience/purchasing in a retail business environment.
3. Comprehensive understanding of retail marketing/merchandising business practices and
category management required.