CenturyTel (NYSE: CTL) is a leading provider of consumer and business communications solutions
in rural areas and small to mid-size cities in 26 states and is included in the S&P 500 Index.
The company delivers advanced communications with a personal touch. Visit CenturyTel at
This position manages outside plant and central office employees in a specific service area,
who provide quality telephone service on a profitable basis while adhering to company
policies, procedures and directives. The supervisor develops and maintains an aggressive,
knowledgeable, customer-focused team that promotes and sells CenturyTel products and services
while providing a service experience that exceeds the customer's expectations.
1. Bachelor's degree in related field or the equivalent in training and experience.
2. Minimum five years of telecommunications industry experience which demonstrates a basic
knowledge of telephony and outside plant construction and repair practices, and current
knowledge of digital switching systems, various transmission systems and central office power
systems; or equivalent education, training or experience.
3. Work leadership experience that involved planning, directing and monitoring the work of
4. Experience or training working with computerized information systems.
1. Supervisory experience.
2. Experience which demonstrates knowledge of centrex/complex equipment and systems.
3. Experience or training in how to read and interpret outside subscriber plant facility
records, maps and symbols.
4. Specific functional experience working with on-line service order systems.
5. Associate degree in electronics.
6. Demonstrated presentation skills that include the ability to effectively respond to
customers needs through the promotion and sale of equipment and services.
7. Demonstrated ability to motivate, lead and coach employees in the promotion and the sale of
CenturyTel's products and services.
8. Experience in development and management of capital and expensed budgets.
9. Certification/Knowledge of Nortel DMS-10 and/or DCO.
10.Vocational or Technical school training with Data Certifications.
11. A+ and CCNA Certification Preferred
12. Experience in VoIP
13. Knowledge of Cable TV Communications systems
1. Directs the installation, repair and maintenance of single and multi-line systems,
residential service, outside plant and central office activities within a specified geographic
2. Directs the assignment of facilities, service orders and maintenance of plant records, as
well as processing customer requests for repair service.
3. Coordinates proper completion of service orders by their due date, handling of customer
complaints and repairs and service outage and major cable damage notifications.
4. Coordinates major switch or other equipment conversions by interfacing with customers,
other departments, vendors, connecting companies and Engineering to ensure industry standards
are met and installations are timely and efficient.
5. Selects competent staff in accordance with legal, Corporate and department hiring
guidelines. Develops an effective staff by motivating, training, and evaluating employees.
6. Provides a safe work environment for employees and eliminates accidents by providing safety
training and reinforcing safety requirements on the job.
7. Contributes to a positive Company image within the communities served by ensuring that
prompt, courteous service is given to customers and acting as the Company's representative
within the community.
8. Monitors workload and manages work schedules to insure labor efficiency and meet service
demands (i.e., overtime, weekends, evening work, etc.)
9. Ensures that all company equipment is inspected and routinely maintained according to
established specifications to minimize equipment failures and out of service reports.
10. Promotes harmonious and productive working relationships with utility, municipality and
government-related entities by coordinating outside plant facility-related work activity with
11. Availability to travel by car approximately 25 percent of the time.
It is the responsibility of the respondent to prove his/her qualifications for the position
for which they are responding. CenturyTel requires pre-employment drug testing.
CenturyTel IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER