The UNIX Systems Engineer will have the following responsibilities:
- Assist with the administration of a network of mission critical 24/7 production Sun Solaris
systems including installs, maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Assist with system backups and assist in the testing and implementation of a comprehensive
backup plan with off-site tape rotation.
- Ownership of the Symantec Veritas Netbackup infrastructure to include media servers, client
agents, tape libraries, and virtual tape libraries.
- Assist in the maintenance (and upgrade) of core Solaris servers including mail, NIS, file
servers, name servers, authentication servers, etc.
- Assist in troubleshooting server / network problems at the core server as well as user
- Promote a high support level to ensure that user issues are resolved quickly and
- Work with team members to ensure compliance with computer / network-related policies and
- Installing and configuring Sun Solaris computer systems and networks, updating them as
necessary, and keeping them running properly on a day-to-day basis.
- Managing users and user accounts, including both the computer-related aspects of creating
and maintaining user accounts and systems, and responding to user requests, questions and
- Performing daily health check on the systems.
- System engineering skills and knowledge of Sun Solaris versions 8, 9, and 10.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Symantec Veritas Netbackup 5.x and 6.x.
- Required knowledge of at least two of the following UNIX technologies: Sendmail, BIND, DNS,
Shell Scripting, SAN Technologies, Veritas Volume Manager, and TCP/IP Networking Technologies.
The ideal candidate will also have knowledge of Peoplesoft, OpenView, Weblogic, and Oracle.
BS in Computer Science preferred but not required.