1. Performs patient admitting histories and physicals; records information accurately in
patient record in a timely fashion.
2. Performs routine preoperative and postoperative procedures, e.g.: insertion/removal of
tubes, lines, sutures; performs postoperative wound care.
3. Examines and evaluates patients and assists in development of their treatment plan with
resident physicians and attending surgeons.
4. Appropriately responds to emergency situations; manages patient issues as they arise in the
ICU, to the extent that the PA will obtain and evaluate studies/labs, write orders, obtain
consultations and interpret lab values and x-rays with the assistance of the supervising
physicians as necessary.
5. Provides age specific care to surgical intensive care patients from early adolescence
through the geriatric ages.
6. Will work with physician trainees and will alternate with them in scheduled shifts for
7. Will work under the direction of supervising critical care attending and fellows.
8. Provides teaching to medical students and physician assistant students and other health
care personnel as appropriate.
9. Stays up to date on the latest literature in surgical intensive care practice.
10. Participates in quality improvement efforts and research efforts as directed by the
service leadership. The PA should also initiate quality improvement and research efforts as