SUMMARY: Under limited supervision, to perform advanced, diversified and confidential legal
secretarial and administrative duties for the General Counsel. Employees in this job
classification perform legal secretarial/administrative support functions for staff and are
responsive to a high volume of customer contacts and requests for information. This job
classification requires broad and comprehensive experience in legal field and the ability to
assist in the smooth operation of the office on a daily basis
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. *Performs advanced and diversified legal secretarial and administrative support
functions for the General Counsel and Assistant General Counsel; work is generally of a
critical, confidential and complex nature. Uses independent judgment and initiative to
determine approach or action to take in non-routine situations.
2. *Prepares a variety of business and legal documents including agreements, leases,
contracts, pleadings and legal correspondence.
3. *Assists in designated administrative activities for special projects using initiative
4. *Prepares special or one-time reports, summaries or replies to inquiries, selecting
relevant information from a variety of sources such as reports, documents, correspondence and
5. *Types and produces a variety of documents, correspondence, agendas, budgets, mailings,
brochures, and presentation materials from rough draft, notes, or general instructions
utilizing word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software applications;
follows-up on memos and e-mail messages. Reviews outgoing materials and correspondence for
consistency and conformance to department procedures.
6. *Screens telephone calls, visitors and incoming correspondence; personally responds to
requests for information, and determines which requests should be handled by supervisor,
appropriate staff member or other offices. Based on a knowledge of the supervisorís views,
composes correspondence on own initiative about administrative matters and general office
7. *Arranges meetings, initiates facility set-up, schedules participants, assembles
materials, distributes notifications and materials and prepares agendas. Attends, prepares
and distributes minutes of meetings.
8. *Anticipates and prepares materials needed by the Legal Department members for
conferences, appointments, meetings, etc., and informs the Legal Department on matters to be
9. *Processes and monitors confidential paperwork and records (contracts, proposals,
personnel actions, expense reports, etc.). Maintains departmental files, lists, logs,
databases, storage and disposition.
10. *Sorts and distributes mail, ensures timely staff response, responds to mail and a variety
of inquiries; acts as an information source related to department operations within established
policies and procedures; and follows-up on response deadlines.
11. *Processes purchase orders and invoices; researches discrepancies, reconciles invoices,
and maintains records relating to receipt and payment.
12. Reads publications, regulations and directives and takes action or refers those that are
important to the executive and staff.
13. Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.