1. Prepares and calibrates transducers and monitors for open heart and other surgical
2. Assumes responsibility for monitoring and anesthesia equipment.
3. Prepares and assists with administration of drug infusions.
4. Coordinates intraoperative laboratory determinations. Draws blood samples for lab analyses;
highlights abnormal and coagulation analyses and ACT time.
5. Dispenses and controls pharmaceutical, including narcotics, as directed.
6. Coordinates transportation of patients from Operating Room to Intensive Care Unit.
7. Completes anesthesia audits and research as directed.
8. Sets up monitors for blood pressure.
9. Assists in evaluation and selection of anesthesia equipment.
10. Provides coverage outside of regularly scheduled hours as defined by the Chairman of
Anesthesiology and/or hospital administration.
11. Performs all duties of anesthesia technician including a variety of duties to ensure
functioning and cleanliness of equipment.
12. Maintains call schedule as directed by lead cardiovascular nurse.
13. Works under the direction of the Chairman of Anesthesiology.
14. Works in the role of the Holding Room nurse/PACU as necessary.
1. Two years training as a registered nurse with licensure as a registered nurse in the
Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
2.Operating room, intensive care unit, or coronary care unit experience.
3.Good interpersonal skills to deal effectively with surgeons, patients and their
families,equipment vendors, and all other contacts.
4. Consistently uses sharps safety devices as designed to prevent injuries to self.