Company: Brigham & Women’s Hospital
Brigham & Women’s Physician Organization
Status: Full-Time, Employee
Job Category: Information Technology
Job Title: Manager of Information Technology
Contact: Richard Cornell
The Department of Anesthesia at Brigham and Women’s Hospital is seeking a Manager of
Information Technology with strong, hands-on web application development and project
management skills, preferably from the metro-Boston area.
Applicant should have solid working knowledge and experience using industry standard tools for
project management and structured application design and development throughout the software
development life cycle, must have intermediate or better, hands-on experience with PostgreSQL,
MySQL, Apache 1.3/2.0, ColdFusion MX, PHP, and Python in order to support our current
application development environment; intermediate experience with RedHat Linux or Fedora Core
2/3,Windows 2000/XP, Mac OS 9/X, and Windows 2000/2003 Server. Experience with selecting and
customizing non-proprietary web portal (CMS-based) products a plus.
Management responsibilities include supervision of a small IS team (3-4 FTEs) that provides
help desk, database/application development, web site management, graphic design services; and
strategic planning, budgeting, equipment inventory, network security, and data
BA/BS degree in Computer Science preferred and at least five (5) years of experience with
application development and three (3) systems and staff management.
· Provide and maintain a structured application development and project management environment
using industry standard programming and project management tools and methodologies.
· Plan, manage and support Information Services for the Department including the day-to-day
management of file, print, application, email, and web servers; application and desktop
support. Direct all hardware and software procurement, installation, upgrade and maintenance
activities, and ensure data security with backup and recovery procedures.
· Collaborate with the IS Steering Committee to determine technical, financial and staff
resource requirements, and prioritization of projects and application development efforts;
provide the Committee with strategic planning assistance.
· Work with Partners Healthcare Information Services to monitor network and information
security, including network security plans and firewall rules.
· Review and recommend desktop application computer training programs provided by Partners
Information Services and other training facilities, and plan and provide training for
Department developed applications.
· Supervise IT staff that provide desktop support, application development and web management,
and graphic design services; assess staff technical and interpersonal skills and offer guidance
for training and staff development.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with clinical, administrative and
research staff, computer vendors, and Partners IT organizations.
· Solid experience with database design and implementation, web application development;
intermediate or better experience using PostgreSQL, MySQL, Apache, ColdFusion MX, PHP, Python,
and open source software (preferably CMS-based web portal software); strong ability to collect,
analyze, and document project specifications and a solid understanding of software development
life cycle and methodologies/tools for application development and project management.
· Hands-on experience with Linux (preferably RedHat, Fedora Core 2/3), Windows 2000/XP, Mac OS
9/X, and Windows NT/2000/2003 Server systems, including server administration, fundamental
network and information security and data backup/recovery tools and procedures.
· Strong analytical skills and ability to plan, manage, and prioritize large projects
including negotiating deliverables, estimating required human and financial resources and
managing product development and delivery schedules. Ability to identify and analyze problems,
evaluate alternative solutions and implement corrective action under pressure.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to motivate, foster team
participation, coaching, and provide training and career development guidance for IT staff.
· BA/BS preferably in Computer Science and at least five (5) years of experience developing
and supporting web-based applications in a business or medical environment using structured
application development and project management tools and methods, three (3) years of which
must include administrative or management experience.