With more than 5 million members, Empire BlueCross BlueShield is a distinguished leader in the
health insurance industry. We rely on the skill of our people and the power of information to
deliver operational and service excellence to our customers. We seek talented individuals with
diverse backgrounds and experiences to bring new and exciting ideas to our organization. To
that end, we are committed to providing opportunities for professional growth and career
development. We invite you to contribute to our success!
This position is responsible for the overall strategic direction of infrastructure technology
at Empire Healthcare. Chief Network Specialist 2, Infrastructure Planning researches,
documents, analyzes and presents findings on technologies current and future that would be of
strategic importance to the corporation. This position works with vendors, organizes pilots
and provides third level support for network operations, the collaboration environments, and
A/V services. WAN, LAN, Voice, Server and Desktop technologies are investigated and critiqued.
White papers must be written to communicate the appropriate use of such technologies for use in
the enterprise. The position requires candidates to possess excellent communication skills,
including both written and verbal capabilities for customer and management interaction. Some
travel may be necessary. Skill sets include TCP/IP networking ability, proficiency with Cisco
devices and functionality, working knowledge of UNIX-based operating systems, project planning
and managing experience, a broad view of the infrastructure technology, and contract
negotiation experience. The position reports to the Vice President of Infrastructure Data
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
· Develop strategic technologies for the enterprise.
· Research leading edge technologies in the data, voice, and video domains to determine
appropriate choices for Empire.
· Conduct proof-of-concept pilots to test these technologies.
· Document results of tests and pilots to upper management via reports and presentations.
· Formulate infrastructure plans and directions.
· Take information from voice and data engineering and formulate technology, plans and
· Develop formal technical designs, which meet the voice and data technologies needs of the
company’s business objectives.
· Provide technology leadership, assuring that staff members are experts in voice, video and
· Conduct RFPs and Cost Benefit Analysis to document benefits and make decisions on products
and services for Empire.
· Serve as system administrator for SUN/UNIX-based enterprise management system composed of
SMARTS and Concord.
· Perform system maintenance on the SUN server system, develop system reports, define new
nodes and applications to the system as necessary. Assist data engineers in designing the
system to reflect an accurate picture of the enterprise network and server architecture.
· Develop and document general system and network designs.
· Develop standards for voice, video and data systems and electronically document distribution
to the various engineering departments for use in project implementations. Work with current
technology vendors such as Cisco, Siemens and Aspect to integrate technologies with current
· Work with engineering areas to approve project level designs and assist where necessary at
the project level for technology implementations at Empire.
B.S. in Computer Science, Math or Engineering preferable. Three to five years’ experience.
Certifications in technology-based disciplines such as Cisco, SUN and Microsoft.
WellChoice, Inc., the parent company of Empire BlueCross BlueShield offers the attractive
compensation and comprehensive benefits package you'd expect from New York's premier health
Please send cover letter/resume indicating the position of interest and salary requirements
or send to: Empire BlueCross BlueShield. Attn: Human Resources & Services, 11 W. 42nd St, 18th
Fl, New York, NY 10036; An EO/AA Employer M/F/D/V.
Empire BlueCross BlueShield is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield