Innovators. Leaders. Product gurus. You know who you are. You’re the one who has the
entrepreneurial spirit and get juiced by owning your own product(s) and making them
successful. You’re the one who figures out the business opportunity, what customers are
buying, what messages resonate with them, and how to get the product into their hands - and
love every minute of it. At Softricity, the Product Management & Marketing organization is the
focal point for all activities pertaining to product strategy, market requirements,
positioning, and launch of products and corresponding partner technologies that are delivered
as part of the Softricity solution. As the Senior Product Manager or Director of Product
Management (depending on experience level), you will be responsible for prioritizing and
managing the product roadmap, build ROI-based business cases for new product ideas, prioritize
features & functions, as well as drive solution/product areas outside and inside the company,
becoming the hands-on “guru” of the product. This position is based in Boston, MA.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Manage the product requirements process; getting input from customers, prospects, partners,
Sales people, Engineering, CTS, external market trends and competitors in defining a cohesive
set of deliverables that are market-driven and can be feasibly delivered by Engineering.
• Produce Market Requirements Definition (MRD), Use-Case documents, and Functional
Descriptions for existing and new products. Devise effective processes with Engineering to
effectively communicate these requirements throughout the Engineering team.
• Manage the product beta process - working with customers and others to ensure that
participation is effective and processes are defined and followed.
• Own all aspects of the Product Life Cycle, including the Product Launch process, defining
and tracking schedules, creating and managing the Bill of Materials, Product Warranty
information, End of Life planning, and other product-related deliverables that comprise the
• Work with existing and prospective customers in beta and prototype testing phases, as well
as tracking their successes and challenges working with the software.
• Work with the Director of Product Strategy, CTO and CTS (Client Technical Support) teams in
gathering ideas and prioritizing product features.
• Conduct Customer Councils and other programs to better solicit customer and Partner
• Participate in weekly Engineering and Support meetings, providing market-driven guidance on
bug fixes, patches and other solutions.
• Collaborate with the VP of Product Management & Marketing to create product-specific
marketing messages and work with the Corporate Marketing team to produce product data sheets,
white papers and other marketing collateral.
• Provide in-depth product and competitive analyses for use in both product strategy and sales
/ marketing positioning.
• Work with VP of PM&M to define strategic market segments – including vertical and/or
• Answer product-related questions from the Softricity Sales, Business Development, Corporate
Marketing and external Business Partner organizations.
• Create and deliver presentations, white papers, communiqués, and other Sales Tools.
• Present technical presentations and product demonstrations at customer briefings, industry
conferences, Industry analyst briefings and other public-speaking forums.
• Superior communicator who is a strong, out-going leader and builder of consensus.
• Ability to work in an unstructured problem-solving environment and synthesize strategy,
plans, and solutions in an extremely fast-paced environment. You will never be bored here, but
you will probably never have enough time to accomplish everything you would like to, either.
• Hands-on technical skills with the inquisitiveness to learn the products, work with them,
and determine ways to improve them. This is a job for a technical 'tinkerer' who loves their
• A work style that emphasizes a disciplined and organized approach to defining products,
prioritizing features and activities, and driving execution.
• A desire to be part of a dynamic, growing market segment (on-demand application services)
and lead the charge in establishing Softricity as the leader in this segment.
• Flexibility and self-motivation – with a problem solver’s attitude. (Complainers need not
• Able to work independently yet collaborate cross-functionally in a team environment.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
5 to 10 years of direct experience in managing Enterprise-class software products that are
marketed and sold to Global 2000 customers. You must have experience with large, global
customers and migrated customers through several versions of software. This is a must. Also,
you will know the “Solutions Selling” approach to building products and understand that
successful customers make successful software companies.
Specific qualifications include:
• Bachelors Degree in Business, Marketing, Computer Science, or Engineering – MBA is not
mandatory, but a plus
• Superior written and oral communication skills - with samples of previous MRDs and other
product documents handy.
• Technical background is a major plus - particularly in the areas of Windows Server
management & Microsoft Active Directory, Terminal Services, Citrix MetaFrame, VMware, Tivoli,
CA Unicenter, HP OpenView, or Altiris
• Successfully launched multiple software products at both large and small software companies
– with target customers in the Fortune 500 / Global 2000.
• Familiarity and experience with requirements automation systems such as Rational Requisite
Pro is a major plus.
Compensation & Benefits:
• Generous base salary and performance-based bonus plan
• Company equity in the form of stock options
• 3 weeks paid vacation, one week personal time
• Immediate 401K eligibility
• Excellent, PPO health care plan
• Health club reimbursement
Contact: Product Management