We are Unified Western Grocers, Inc., the largest wholesale grocery cooperative in the Western
United States. Since 1922 we've offered independent retailers the resources they need to
compete in today's supermarket industry. Whether it's the delivery of grocery products,
technology to support our retailers' needs, or sales and merchandising services, Unified
provides a full range of products and services. With corporate offices in the City of
Commerce, we have 3,000 employees and sales of $3 Billion each year. We have an exciting
opportunity for two Senior Buyers.
Senior Buyer – Meat Division
Working with limited supervision, assumes full buying responsibility for significant product
line(s). Oversees the purchasing, quality, pricing, and turnover of items to meet member needs
and profitability objectives. Supervises a replenishment buyer and purchasing clerk and
provides guidance and assistance to other buying staff members.
1. Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or a closely related field or four
to six years of directly related work experience may be substituted.
2. Five to Six years of prior retail/wholesale experience including 6 or more
years in the purchasing, pricing, and inventory control of assigned product
3. Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of branded products with an emphasis on
assigned product line(s).
4. Knowledge of company operations including available products, pricing and
promotion programs, and members/retailers.
5. Demonstrated proficiency with personal computers and associated business
software (MS-Word and Excel preferred).
6. Analytical and problem-solving skills demonstrated by the review of
vendor/supplier proposals, evaluation of available competitive information,
and selection of best alternatives.
7. Negotiation skills. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in
writing, with member/retailers and sales staff.
8. Detail oriented with the ability to prepare, review, and evaluate purchase
contracts and associated documents.
Unified offers a competitive salary and sales incentive plan along with an extensive employee
benefits program that includes medical/dental/vision/life insurance along with both a 401(k)
plan and cash balance pension plan. If you are interested, please Email your RESUME and SALARY
REQUIREMENTS to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (323) 265-4006. For additional information about
our company, please visit our web site at www.uwgrocers.com Unified is a drug-free workplace.